History of Centerfield, Utah
-

Centerfield is on US-89 two miles (3.22 km) south of Gunnison and 5.4 miles (8.69 km) north of Axtell. Around the 1860s settlers from Gunnison moved here and claimed acreage under "Squatter's Rights". Homes were soon buiIt and an LDS Centerfield Ward was organized in 1897. In the early 1880s Centerfield was known as South Gunnison or The Field. On August 29, 1896, The Field became Centerfield being in the center of the fertile Gunnison Valley. By 1898 a post office had been established. In 1908 the Town Hall was built and in 1909 Centerfield was incorporated.

G. William Wiersdorf

See: DUP Plaques; Utah Place Names 1997, John W. Van Cott.


Google
 
Web onlineutah.com
Comments & Questions to OnlineUtah.com

Home | Area Codes | Cities | Climate | Credits | Counties | Dinosaurs | Disclaimer | Dining |

Education | Entertainment | Government | Health | History | Hot Springs | Industry | Lakes | Lodging |

Maps | Media | Mountains | Museums | Parks | People | Photo Gallery | Quick Facts |

Quizzes | Recreation & Sports | Religion | Rivers | Sites | Travel | Weather |




Mark Robinson Realty Brokers