northern Davis County, is bordered by Hill Air Force Base and the Wasatch
Mountains on the east, and by Syracuse, West Point, and the Great Salt
Lake on the west. It was one of the last communities to be settled in
the north part of the county. Clearfield was once known as "Sandridge."
There was little available water and the land was thought to be unproductive.
The name was later changed to Clearfield from the suggestion of a teacher,
who got the idea as she looked out over the attractive open surroundings.
An emigrant couple
from England were the first settlers in Clearfield. Richard and Emily
Hamblin had lived with relatives in Layton for a few years, and in 1877
they decided to make their own home in the area that is now Clearfield.
Their first home was a dugout with a thatched roof of sagebrush covered
Water had to
be brought in from Kay's Creek in Layton, so Hamblin's first concern
was finding a closer water supply. He dug several surface wells without
success until 1881 when he struck water. He made a windmill to supply
irrigation water and grew strawberries, which he marketed. After the
completion of the East Canyon Dam in 1884, water was supplied by the
Davis and Weber counties canal. This brought more people to the area
to live and to grow crops. Most settled in the area that is now Syracuse.