is the second largest city in Tooele County and is noteworthy for both
the number and excellence of its horses and cattle, which at one time
were important means of bringing much wealth into the city. Large tracts
of desert land still provide grazing in the winter for livestock, and
majestic homes are still standing from the earlier period of prosperity.
thirty-three miles southwest of Salt Lake City in Tooele Valley, Grantsville is bordered on the south by South Mountain, which divides Rush Valley
from Tooele Valley; it is bordered on the west by the Stansbury Range,
and to the north by Stansbury Island, both named for Captain Howard
Stansbury, an early government surveyor. Across the valley floor east
lies the Oquirrh Mountains.
popular grazing area for the herds of Salt Lake Valley stockmen, including Brigham Young, in 1848 the ground on which Grantsville now stands was
occupied by a herd house. Thomas Ricks and Ira Willis were in charge
at Twenty Wells; but when more permanent dwellings were built by the
families of James McBride and Harrison Severe in October 1850, the site
was named Willow Creek. Finally, the name was changed to Grantsville
in honor of George D. Grant, leader of a military force sent to control
hostile Native Americans.