Orangville is a pleasantly located town on cottonwood creek, first settled in 1878 by E. Curtis, Sr., J. K. Reid, Andrew Anderson, Joseph Burnett, Theodore H. Housekeeper,, Joseph Jackson, and Samuel Jewkes and sons. The place was called Castle Dale until the new town was founded when the present name was adopted. A postoffice was established in 1879 with J.K. Cut, which supplied sufficient water for all purposes until 1879 when the Clipper canal was constructed. The town was located and surveyed in the fall of 1880 and several families from Manti and other Sanpete towns began the erection of homes. In 1881 a ward was organized with Jasper Robertson, bishop: J.K. Reid and Andrew Anderson, counselors.
The town was named in honor of Hon. Orange Seely, the first man called to settle Castle Valley, and his notable record as a pioneer is a credit to the place. With a small beginning of only four families in 1879, the town has increased and prospered until in 1898 the population numbers 800 industrious and enterprising citizens engaged in farming, stockraising and kindred pursuits, enjoying the comforts of home and pleasant surroundings. There are three well-conducted public schools, maintained during the regular school months. The business interests are well represented by four stores, roller mill, sawmill, shingle mills, blacksmith shops, foundry and other necessary houses. Orangeville town and fields are well watered from the Clipper, the Star, the Great Western, the Blue Cut, and the Mammoth Canals.