Pleasant Grove, Utah County, was founded by Mormon settlers on 13 September 1850, and became an incorporated city on 19
January 1855. It is located twelve miles northwest of Provo and thirty-six miles southeast of Salt Lake City.
At this site, the Mormons had their first conflict with the Indians on 5 March 1849 at the head of a stream that became known as Battlecreek;
the settlement on this creek at first was unofficially called Battlecreek.
Indians had their own name for the area--"Mepha" or "Little Waters."
The first settlers built impermanent cabins in a "pleasant grove" of
trees. This was a more pleasing name and was adopted for the town.
Situated on the
northeastern edges of Utah Valley and Utah
Lake and along the western slope of the Wasatch
Range at the foot of Mount
Timpanogos, the area's gravelly alluvial deposits and sediments
from Lake Bonneville are ideal for
fruit trees, while the mountains afford protection from late spring
frosts. Thus, the higher small-acreage farms of Pleasant Grove became
prominent fruit and berry producers. However, with urban growth, now
only one large orchard remains in production.