is located in Cache County, two and one-half miles south of Logan on
state highway 238. Its 1990 census population was 3,344. Situated immediately
east of the confluence of Spring Creek with the Logan River, the town
lies astride a delta at the mouth of Providence Canyon and beneath 9,000-foot Big Baldy Mountain. The settlement was located on Spring Creek to take
advantage of water, arable land, timber resources, and existing trails.
As directed by LDS President Brigham Young, on 24 July 1855 Captain Briant Stringham,
Simon Baker, Andrew Moffat, and Brigham Young, Jr., located headquarters
for the Elkhorn Cattle Ranch on a spring of water near the west bank
of the Blacksmith Fork River, immediately southwest of the present site
of Providence. Subsequently, in the early spring of 1857, Samuel, Joseph,
Aboile, and Nephi Campbell, and John Dunn, crossed the mountains from North Ogden into Cache Valley seeking a new place to settle. To them,
the town they called "Ogden's Hole" was becoming too crowded. They pitched
camp at the present site of Providence, at a spring and pond where a
creek from a canyon in the Bear River Range entered the alluvial lowland.
To assess the fertility of the soil, the explorers broke sod and plowed
a long furrow.