Richmond is located fourteen miles north of Logan in Cache County . In July of 1859 Agrippa
Cooper camped at Bowers Springs on the southwest boundary of Richmond
with his wife and son. Additional families settled in the area during
the autumn of that year; they included John Bair, William H. Lewis,
Francis Stewart, and Robert D. Petty. A total of seventeen families
spent the winter in the area. An influx of new settlers arrived in the
spring of 1860 and the land was planted and roads were built. Ditches
were dug to obtain water from Cherry Creek, and a dam was built across
City Creek for irrigation purposes.
Young visited Richmond in 1860 and advised the settlers to move
closer together for protection, in case of an Indian raid. A fort was built at present Center Street. In 1861 Richmond was
surveyed by Jessie Fox, the territorial surveyor, and property assigned.
One hundred four claims were made for land after the townsite was laid