(Emery) was settled in 1881 and soon became
a thriving farming community and livestock loading station. The area's first resident was a local prospector by the name of Henry H. Hutchinson. Other settlers arrived the following year and soon established a small community with stores, a cafe and blacksmith shop. After damming the near-by Price River for irrigation, a variety of food was grown including vegetables, turkeys, cattle, sheep, sugar beets and honey. They called the town "Lower Crossing" for the D & R railroad which crossed the River at this point. Because of the areas numerous cottonwood groves, "Lower Crossing" was renamed "Woodside". At one point the community even sported a railroad hotel and depot. But railroad
facilities improved to the point where nearby Helper became a more convenient town. In the late 1920s livestock shipping facilities and the depot were removed from Woodside. Also, the occasional flooding of the river caused the farmers eventually to search for better lands. After the cafe and store burned down in
1970, Woodside became a ghost town. Today, a fenced in service station marks the spot along the lonely stretch of US-6 between Price and Green River.
G. William Wiersdorf
See: John W. Van Cott, Utah Place Names; Wikipedia; Ghost Depot.