When the Utah
Territorial Legislature created Davis County in 1852, it placed the
county seat at North Cottonwood and renamed it Farmington. The small Mormon farming community gradually adopted its new name and helped build
Utah's first courthouse in 1854-55, a two-story adobe building that
for its first dozen years served both government and religious purposes.
Centrally located between Salt Lake City and Ogden, and thus at Davis
County's midpoint, Farmington remained an agricultural town for its
first half century, then joined in the effort to develop a commercial
base. Eventually, Farmington settled in as a residential community tied
economically to the metropolitan areas to the north and south.Known for a time
as the City of Roses, Farmington battled flash floods in the 1920s and
1930s and again in 1984, and now prides itself as a city using rocks
as a distinguishing architectural element in its major buildings. Two
pioneer landmarks built of fieldstone in the 1860s--the Latter-day Saints'
meetinghouse and Franklin D. Richards's grist mill--and a dozen pioneer rock homes helped establish that image.